Posts Tagged ‘Social Security notification of name change’

What Women Should Know About Social Security

Friday, April 18, 2014 posted by Martin
Engraved Motivational Stones

Engraved Inspirational Stones

Over the years, the government has improved benefits for women covered by the Social Security program.  As an example, benefits were raised for surviving spouses and for disabled spouses.  Also, a divorced woman does not have to be completely dependent on her Ex to collect.  Nonetheless, Social Security, while helpful, will not cover all of a woman’s needs.  She should plan to accumulate other income and asset sources in order to live comfortably.

Be sure to report to Social Security if you change your name.  If you fail to do this, it could affect your ability to collect all of the money you are entitled to receive.  You can get a form from your nearest Social Security office or call 800.772.1213.  To show proof, you must show an official document such as a marriage license, divorce decree, certificate of naturalization or a court order showing the name change.  Engraved pocket stones with your name will not work.

Did you like this? Share it:
Comments Off on What Women Should Know About Social Security